Life thru Pictures

Monday, July 10, 2006

Tomorrow will mark the 2 week countdown to the end of my vacation. I don't think I would be so anxious about it if I were returning to my previous job. However, in two weeks I'll be starting a new job at a new school with little kids (who sometimes freak me out). I'm a year more experienced which should mean I know things but I feel even less prepared than before the beginning of last year. I'm sure there's a certain level of expectation from my new school because of my 1 year of experience under my belt which makes it even worse.

Last night, after one dream about pirates (we saw Pirates of the Carribean last night & then came home to watch "The True Pirates of the Carribean" on the History Channel) I had a dream about what my first day at work was going to be like. First of all, i was late cause I didn't set my alarm & also forgot that I need to be there early to greet the kids. Then I felt insecure so I went back to the high school to visit & some of the kids forgot about me & then I felt bad cause I had to tell them I wasn't their counselor anymore. I tried to counsel some kids using the Connect Four but turns out I had about 4 hours to kill.

I've accepted the fact that my 1st year will be a challenge. I've accepted that the 1st semester will be most difficult. It's going to be a world away from what I was trained to do in my internship & during my first year. Problems will be different. Jobs will be different. Techniques will be different. I hope with all this change brings positive outcomes. I'm sure it will. In the meantime, my anxiety will still linger as my summer vacation melts away & the countdown to the next holiday begins.

1 Comments:

Blogger nure nezumi said...

your dreams are too literal... you need more ridiculousness in your dreams. haha, anyway, just think about your new job as an apprenticeship, it's not like grad school really does a good job of preparing people for working anyway, so instead of thinking about going in there and having everyone expect experienced workmanship from day 1, treat it more like a learn-on-the-job type of thing, because let's face it, every school does it COMPLETELY differently anyway so no one should expect a newcomer to the school to get a jump on things right away. two more weeks, enjoy it, we should do more stuff... give a call whenever you get bored.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home