Life thru Pictures

Wednesday, March 29, 2006


How did you guys find me so quickly? I keep meaning to post a blog on the phatties page but keep forgetting.

Despite reading all of Joseph's blog's about the ignorant people he runs into...I'm still shocked when I actually see it happening. Today I was at Ala Moana Old Navy, standing in line. In front of me was a Caucasian mother & her young daughter (maybe 10 y.o) & behind me were several local Asian teenage girls. They were playing with the soccer balls by the check out counter & giggling as teenieboopers do. This caught the attention of the Caucasian lady. She asked them if they played sports--"no" they danced. "OH! You dance. D o you travel to the United States? I mean, do you get to travel?" "We're going to Italy." "Oh, Italy." (I think they said Italy) At this point she turns to her daughter & whispers, "difficult." The lady is smiling with a look of satisfaction similar to how one might get after talking to a 3 year old. She didn't realize the girls were not very talky because they didn't want to talk to her, & not because they couldn't talk to her. "What is it that you are anyway? Are you Asian?" "I'm Japanese." "Oh, you're not Asian? You're Japanese. (still smiling) You know, between Asians & the Hispanics, you all look the same." The girls start giggling & the lady is still smiling.

In the past several weeks I've restored my interest in stations like TLC, Discovery, NGC--all that good stuff. I also started watching this show called, "Little People, Big World." The mother, father & one son are Little People & it's about their daily lives. I also watched Hotel Rwanda last night (yes, I've been watching a lot of television) which told the story of a hotel manager who sheltered the Tusti refugees escape from the genocide happening in their country.

My point is, there are so much education out there. Something as simple as knowing that Japanese people are also Asian (& that these girls were Asian Americans, something that I would have said) seem so basic to me. But then I got to thinking of all the things I don't know I don't know. I couldn't stay irritated at her for very long.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bored@Home said...

Hi! I just happend to find your blog and this story got my attention. Its amazing how anyone can think that way in this day and age. It's understandable also. I am Puertorrican and for a time I lived in Texas, for some reason even to this day people ask me if I know how to cook Mexican food. Heck, I can't barely cook Puertorrican food. It is easy to get angry, mad or irritated. It is better to educate politely. Great Blog by the way! If you have time I am also starting this blog thing, check me out at http://video567.blogger.com

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home