Life thru Pictures

Friday, January 02, 2009

i've got words.

So on New Year's Eve I get a citation and fine from our lovely townhouse association. I was so pissed...I wrote them this letter. I've taken out the real name of where I live (just in case). I know nothing (probably) will happen as a result of my letter but it felt good writing it. I think I have some pretty darn good points stated. What do you think?

To the Management of M.Cliffs,

On Wednesday, December 31, I received a notice on my screen door informing me that I am being fined for having “dog feces throughout yard.” The inspection of my property was conducted on Thursday, December 19, 2008. I am upset to have received notice of the fine 12 days after the actual inspection. This makes any sort of appeal impossible since I cannot remember whether or not there was “dog feces throughout the yard.” I feel that the management of M.Cliffs is tying my hands in this matter because non-compliance only hurts me, the homeowner.

There are several things that extremely bother me about the inspection procedures at M. Cliffs:

  1. There is no general notice that an inspection: a.) will occur or b.) has occurred. If I do not pass an inspection, I would to be made aware THAT DAY so that I can either take care of the infraction right away or gather evidence if I feel that the fine or notice was not fair or warranted. When an inspection occurs and I passed, it is good to know that I was not breaking any association rules. Since I am a paying member of this association, I feel it is my right to know when these inspections are being done (i.e. once a month, once every other month, or at the convenience of the inspectors).

  1. The way the inspection is done at the expense of the homeowner. I have been home once during a inspection and was annoyed that the inspectors climb the covered hill fronting our fence and walk behind the bushes, getting the closest view of the courtyards. I felt like the privacy of my own home was violated, having someone unwanted so close to my home. I was also alarmed because my dog, who is usually friendly in nature, was startled at these “intruders” and barked at them to defend his home and master. Had the inspectors been bending over or had my dog been more vicious, someone could have gotten hurt. There is reason for there being bushes and a covered hill fronting our fence. TO KEEP THE GENERAL PUBLIC OUT AND GIVE MORE PRIVACY TO THE HOMEOWNERS. The Rules and Regulations emphasize that rules cannot be broken within “public view.” It is no longer considered public view when the inspectors need to trek up a covered hill behind bushes to find infractions. Furthermore, residents living on the second floor are not judged with the same scrutiny as those with courtyards. Second story balconies can only be looked at from the “public view” perspective. When citing and (especially) fining residents, inspectors should use the same judging criteria to make it fair to all residents.

  1. Delivery of notice is untimely and unprofessional. I was home when I realized that I was being served with a fine. I saw someone wearing a blue M.Cliffs t-shirt running up the stairs after rolling up the fine and sticking in through my screen door. I was annoyed that I could not even ask questions about my notice. As stated earlier, I was also upset that the notices came out almost 2 weeks after the so-called infraction, making it impossible to prove or disprove. I am at the mercy of the association to pay a fine I do not believe I have to owe.

  1. There is no instruction on where to send payment or file an appeal on the notice. Basic information such as where to send the check, who to make it out to and by what day payment is due is not stated on the notice. This seems like another method that the association uses to penalize the homeowner. I don’t even know if my House Rules manual is the most current one. My directory has the old site manager and our old managing agent. After reviewing the House Rules manual, it was still not clearly stated where a check should be sent. I (or anyone else) could send payment to the wrong place, be assessed more fines, be frustrated, angry and out more money.

I have lived at M.Cliffs for almost 2 years and have enjoyed the pleasant living environment, friendly neighbors and the dream of owning my first home with my husband and dog. I am a responsible dog owner who picks up after the dog during our walks around M.Cliffs as well as our backyard. We have not received any complaints about the cleanliness of our yard from any of our neighbors. I believe rules are in place to ensure the continued satisfaction of living in M.Cliffs for all its residents, however, I ask that you consider the suggestions I have discussed to improve the system already in place. Please forward this letter to anyone who might be interested in the concerns of the residents of M.Cliffs.

This is the back of our house. As you can see, there is the hilly landscaped area and bushes.

1 Comments:

Blogger nure nezumi said...

wow very good, you always send very diplomatic letters. what a crappy thing to do, i mean, it seems like they're trying to make it such a covert operation, with inspectors rummaging through the bushes and delivering hit-and-run citations. i also can't believe that you would allow "feces throughout the yard" in your place, since you're so consciencious about picking up after dutch. besides, it's your own yard right? so unless there's like a layer of poop covering the ground why would they even cite that? crap crap crappy. obviously if they don't give you a payment deadline for your "fine" or address to send it to that means you don't have to pay it, ha.

i'm glad that you sent them that letter though, do you have neighborhood or condo board meetings? maybe you could go to one of those and voice your opinions, because they're being very bad managers if they're going to be conducting their business (which you pay for, monthly) like that.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home